We’ve previously covered YouTube on the Socinova Blog – and how it can be considered a powerful social network for you to use in your digital marketing campaign. But although you may already be marketing yourself on YouTube, there’s always room to learn more about its features and what they can do.
Today, we’re focusing on YouTube cards, what they are, and how you can use them to your advantage in your videos and improve your YouTube marketing.
What are YouTube cards?
YouTube cards were introduced last year as a replacement for video annotations. They can be viewed on both desktop and mobile versions of YouTube and feature overlaying text and graphics on your videos. YouTube intends them to be ‘as beautiful as your videos’, giving video makers the opportunity to add a little more style to their visual text.
Why use them?
YouTube cards can help to get across important facts or information, but can also be used to drive action and achieve results.
They’re a chance to add some additional visual components that also serve a practical purpose. For example, you could use them as a reminder for your audience to subscribe, or provide details surrounding a contest. The options are limitless!
Adding YouTube cards to your video
Adding YouTube cards to your video is easy!
- First, head on over to the YouTube Video Manager and select the video you’d like to add the card to.
- Under the title of the video, you’ll see the ‘Edit’ button. Click it!
- You’ll be presented with a new screen showing your video’s information. At the top, you’ll find the ‘Cards’ tab, which you’ll need to click.
- From here, you’ll be able to create new cards that can be added to your video. Just press ‘Add Card’ then ‘Create’.
- You’ll then have the opportunity to fill out all relevant information, for example, links, a custom message or teaser text. Press ‘Create Card’ and it’ll be done – ready to add to your video. Up to five cards can be added to each video.
- After creating the card and adding it to the video of your choice, you’ll be able to choose when your card will appear during the video. Simply drag it to the correct time marker.
How to use them to your advantage
How you use your YouTube cards is completely your decision, but here are a few pointers to get you started.
- If your card is intended to drive an action, for example, a subscription or a link to another video, place it nearer the end of the video so your viewer finishes watching the current one.
- Ensure all your cards are relevant. Viewers won’t want to be bothered by something they have no interest in.
- Use cards to link together a series of related videos.
- Drive your audience to influencer videos containing your product, or other product placements, by placing the link on a card.
- Use it to promote other topics or users you feel strongly about and want to share.
But ultimately, what you do is up to you!
Have you already tested out YouTube cards? What did you do with them and what was the result? Tell us in the comments below, we’d love to hear about your experiences!